Tuesday, February 21, 2012

REJECTION, GDM's EAT THAT STUFF for BREAKFAST!


Ola my little Graphic Design Monsters!

You want to be an Artist and make Money? Then you are in the right place.

Welcome to C'est Horrible Graphic Design Monster. The blog created to enlighten wee artistic and creative minds to what they can expect on their quest for an actual pay check.

I don't plan on sugar coating ANYTHING.

I just want to drop some knowledge on y'all, so let's get STARTED:

You want to be creative, make "ART" and Make MONEY.

Then, you need to be ready for a lot of REJECTION.

To illustrate my point, here are some of my favorite REJECTED works.


REJECTED!!


REJECTED!


REJECTED!


REJECTED!


REJECTED!


REJECTED!


I am using these few images to illustrate a point. A lot of thought, time and effort went into each one of these images and they were ultimately rejected. 


At times, I have created at least 10-20 different covers for a client before they were happy with the result. Nothing I really want to brag about. But I survived and continued on to the next project.



So if you can't take criticism, you are looking at the wrong profession.

So my little GDMonsters, not only will your work be rejected. It will also be analyzed, discussed, trashed, picked at, ripped apart, flayed and eviserated and have its nose rubbed into the dirt.

FYI - not only will your work be critiqued, you have actually listen to this criticism and make changes.


If you think I am mistaken, let me confess that I have been a "paid graphic designer" since 1994. I don't like to admit this, not because of my age, but because it illustrates my stubborn streak. 

Through recessions, depressions, platform and computer program changes, layoffs and firings, I have stayed gainfully employed. 

Why, because, Dang it, I loves to make art and get paid!


Now I am going to share my "experiance" with you. Through this blog I will try to discuss the trials and tribulations of being an "Artist" and actually making a "Living". 



No comments:

Post a Comment